By Georgia L. Irby
A spouse to technology, know-how, and medication in historic Greece and Rome brings a clean standpoint to the learn of those disciplines within the historical international, with 60 chapters reading those issues from a number of serious and technical perspectives.
- Brings a clean standpoint to the examine of technological know-how, expertise, and drugs within the historic global, with 60 chapters studying those themes from quite a few severe and technical perspectives
- Begins insurance in six hundred BCE and contains sections at the later Roman Empire and past, that includes dialogue of the transmission and reception of those principles into the Renaissance
- Investigates key disciplines, innovations, and routine in historic technological know-how, expertise, and drugs in the historic, cultural, and philosophical contexts of Greek and Roman society
- Organizes its content material in halves: the 1st makes a speciality of mathematical and traditional sciences; the second one specializes in cultural functions and interdisciplinary themes
Read Online or Download A Companion to Science, Technology, and Medicine in Ancient Greece and Rome (Blackwell Companions to the Ancient World) PDF
Similar ancient history books
This booklet examines the function of social networks within the formation of identification between sophists, philosophers and Christians within the early Roman Empire. club in each one type used to be tested and evaluated socially in addition to discursively. From clashes over admission to school rooms and communion to development of the group's historical past, integration into the social textile of the group served as either an index of identification and a medium by which contests over prestige and authority have been performed.
Roman siege conflict had its personal constitution and customs, and expectancies either via the besieged and through the attacking military. Sieges tend to be looked after by means of the options and applied sciences that attackers used, however the extra fruitful procedure provided in Roman Siege conflict examines the way in which a siege follows or diverges from standard narrative and operational plotlines.
Whereas the significance of migration in modern society is universally stated, old analyses of migration placed modern concerns into point of view. Migration is a phenomenon of all instances, however it can take many various varieties. The Roman case is of actual curiosity because it provides a scenario within which the amount of migration used to be excessive, and the migrants in query shaped a mix of voluntary migrants, slaves, and squaddies.
Theatrocracy is a publication concerning the strength of the theatre, the way it can have an effect on the folks who adventure it, and the societies during which it truly is embedded. It takes as its version the earliest theatrical shape we own whole performs from, the classical Greek theatre of the 5th century BCE, and gives a brand new method of knowing how historical drama operated in functionality and have become such an influential social, cultural, and political strength, inspiring and being stimulated by means of innovative advancements in political engagement and citizen discourse.
- Codex Lesbiacus Leimonos 11: Annotated Critical Edition of an Unpublished Byzantine "Menaion" for June (Byzantinisches Archiv)
- Peace in the Ancient World: Concepts and Theories (Ancient World: Comparative Histories)
- Triumphs in the Age of Civil War: The Late Republic and the Adaptability of Triumphal Tradition
- The Uses of the Past in the Early Middle Ages
Additional resources for A Companion to Science, Technology, and Medicine in Ancient Greece and Rome (Blackwell Companions to the Ancient World)
A Companion to Science, Technology, and Medicine in Ancient Greece and Rome (Blackwell Companions to the Ancient World) by Georgia L. Irby